The Syrian Canadian Council was formed in early June 2011 following the peaceful protests of Syrians against a four decades rule of dictatorship, corruption and nepotism. The core idea of the council was to connect Syrians all accross Canada, support grass roots activism of Syrian-Canadians, to support Syrians of all political, religious and ethnic backgrounds in their just struggle for freedom and dignity, and to build new bridges between the Syrian community and Canadians.
SCC is a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering the Syrian Canadian community through active defense of human rights and civil liberty for all Syrians and Canadians, with the following objectives:
- To strengthen the ties between the Syrian Canadian community members in Canada.
- To promote the Syrian culture and tradition among the Syrian Canadian community.
- To mobilize Syrian Canadians to strengthen civil society in Syria and Canada.
- To promote friendly relations between the Syrian and Canadian people.
- To cooperate with other organizations (local and international).
- To assert the fact that all Syrians are equal regardless of their ethnicity, religion, color, language, or believe.
- In all its activities and practices, SCC strictly observes Canadian rules and regulations.
- To advocate for freedom, democracy and human rights.
- 2011In June the Syrian Canadian Council was established in Greater Toronto Area (GTA), London and Windsor.
- In November the Chapter of Montreal was established
- In late 2011 GTA chapter elected new board members
- 2013In March the Chapter of Vancouver was established